The next 2 Fridays I’ll be doing server migrations. The first is this Friday, March 10th starting at 10:00 PM Pacific. The servers being migrated are:
- Fellowship (New IP: 220.127.116.11)
- Grace (New IP: 18.104.22.168)
This means you’ll need to do some DNS changes if you manage your own DNS the new IP’s are listed above, if you use FlockHosting, these changes will be made as sites transfer, all sites will be on a 5 minute TTL which means every 5 minutes the DNS checks for new DNS, this will return to normal after the migration is complete.
I’ve done a test migration of Fellowship, comes in at around 30 minutes to move all data, now that’s BEST case, may take longer - but sites should be moved quickly as possible.
Now in the event that your MySQL databases aren’t working you’ll want to reset the password on the new server to do this, you’ll need to:
- Login to cPanel
- Select MySQL Databases
- Scroll to the bottom and find the user attached to your site, click “Change Password”
- Copy and Paste your current password into place and change the password.
- This will reset the password to the new secure format + keep you from having to edit wp-config files. However, if you are unsure how to do this, and hit this issue, I’ll be on hand Saturday to assist.
This move should be relatively painless, quick cut-over, all SSD storage now, should give things a bit more pep in their step! This will happen a week from Friday, and then I’ll post the migration IP’s and such then too.
If you have ANY questions before the move next week please let me know - if you are unsure how to make these changes on your own self-hosted DNS, please get me a login before and I can help make the changes - if you have custom DNS in place, in the past the migration process sometimes resets things like MX records, I will have a backup of FH1/FH2 so if you need zone files restored, please let me know.
That’s it! If I have a common set of questions, I’ll make a post of some common ones, if not - prayers are appreciated!